“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.” ~Groucho Marx
I am back with a new post on Its Only Words, and back with a bang. And this time it’s pretty much for my own self, but I am always open to share my thoughts with my readers.
Pensive over a string of thoughts last night, I tried to unravel my inner self standing in front of the mirror as if I were having a deep face to face conversation with someone I didn’t know much about. I looked at the mirror and to my surprise was bombarded with a series of questions which propelled me into writing this post. Let me first pen down the questions here.
Q1. What makes you smile?
Q2. What makes you lose track of time?
Q3. What makes you feel great about yourself?
Q4. Presence/Absence of what/whom will make a striking difference in your life?
Q5. What are your deepest values?
Q6. What are some challenges/hardships that you have overcome or are in the process of overcoming? How did you do it?
These are a few questions that my altar ego slammed on my face while I tried to get in terms with her last night.
I sat down to find answers to each of these mind boggling and thought stirring questions. But to my surprise I realized, I didn’t have a clear idea as to what should be the ‘correct’ answer to them.
Hmm, troubled to a great extent, in the quest of finding answers to my entire sense of being, I took a deep breath and gathered courage to answer them one by one. I scribbled and erased, scribbled and erased. After pouring in extensive thought and heart, I finally came up with these few bullet points which I now call my values and principles in life and which I am gonna abide by in every situation that I face in life henceforth.
Here are some of my values and goals:
- What matters most is my connection with myself, being present and feeling blissful.
- What I value most is having meaningful relationships with a hand full of people that add substance to my life. Being able to connect with these people on deep levels. (No names that I shall reveal in the post for they know who they are)
- I plan to be financially independent, and have control of my time and location. I plan to work on projects and causes that I connect with. I plan to acquire my finances without violating my values, goals and personal mission.
- I plan to travel and live in different parts of the world. Experiencing different cultures, capturing them in photographs and sharing them with others.
- Having a family is very important to me. I desire a deep, loving relationship with my spouse. I want to be a good wife, mother, daughter, daughter-in-law, sister, and sister-in-law.
- My self-respect means a lot to me. And I pledge not to do anything at the cost of my self-respect. Knowing the thin line of difference between ego and self-respect.
- To live everyday fully as if it was my last.
- To learn from the happenings in the past and to move on to be a better person and make a better living.
All this and much more that shook my entire sense of being last night, having penned it down makes me feel a whole lot better.
Well, an obvious question that would pop up in any reader’s mind is why and how such an enlightenment all of a sudden? And a not-so-obvious answer to that is my current situation and “The Secret”.
In a nutshell, spiritualism has finally ‘touched’ me.